Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos y servicios de interés.
Al continuar con la navegación, entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

"Gijón-IN: An Innovative, Intelligent and Inclusive city", new structural funds are arriving to the city


(Votes count 239)

(Rating average 3,01)

Gijón IN

Gijón has been the beneficiary of the second call "Smart Cities" from the Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda Ministry. With a budget of 7,386,118 Euros, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) thanks to the public entity with 60% of the total budget, with the other 40% being funded by the City Council.

A whole year has already passed since our City became the beneficiary of the 2nd edition of "Smart Cities",a co-financed call with Regional Development Funds (ERDF) and managed by our country's public entity, part of the Information and Digital Agenda Secretariat.

Gijón IN is specifically co-financed by ERDF thanks to its "Operational Programme Smart Growth", whose objective is to promote economic and social cohesion in the Union and correct unbalances between regions.

It is in this context that develops several programmes in our country, oriented towards promoting a digital economy,innovation and entrepreneurship; education for youths and professionals; support SMEs through a more intensive and efficient use of ICT and develop Smart Cities and Islands.

Part of the array of activities promoted by the entity, the Plan Nacional de Ciudades Inteligentes 2015 (National Plan for Intelligent Cities) is the framework where our Gijón IN project is developed, having as its objective to transition the integrated municipal management model to a smart city management model, by reusing, optimizing and expanding the pre-existing platforms in Gijón City Council to answer the new challenges regarding management, open data, transparency and the city's open model.

The financing mechanism is articulated around a specific procedure in which is in charge of receiving funds (from the ERDF and the City Council), and manage the implementation of the presented objectives by the city at the call.

In our case, the proposition was materialized on a roadmap where the objectives were presented based on five acts:

  1. Smart Government: City Council's digitalization and integration of the city and the City Council (advance in the process of innovation and improvement of public services).
  2. Smart Public Services: implementation of management systems, sensorisation and information processing to achieve a better efficiency in service performance, which will allow us to improve key aspects of the city that have a direct impact on citizens and visitors. It includes the endowment of facilities, technological elements and services.
  3. Smart growth: measures aimed at creating technological spaces with interoperable ICT environments that allow the development of cooperative and innovative projects facilitating experimentation, app development, good practices exchange and the use of shared technological tools.
  4. Smart Tourism: create a new tourism model where the person takes center stage. Offer and demand are found using Artificial Intelligence to connect people, interests, products, information, companies,public services and City Councils in one single environment. A new tourism model, tailored for everyone, that allows the discovery of the city in apersonal way, direct communication channels, real time inspiration for the tourism offers, generating new business opportunities in real time.
  5. Communication plan and project management:incorporate a communication plan 2.0 where ICTs play an important role thanks to social media, gamification and mobile phones. On the other hand, the seventh clause from the call's requirements will be observed.